- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: cabbage
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 500g red cabbage
- 3 echalion shallots
- 2 Pink Lady apples
- Knob of salted butter
- 2 clementines
- 10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 4tbsp Streamline black cherry jam
- Salt and black pepper
Finely slice the cabbage, shallots and apples. In a large casserole, heat the butter then tip in the sliced cabbage, shallots and apples and toss well. Add the zest and juice of one clementine, stud the other clementine with cloves and add it to the pan along with the cinnamon, mixed spice, vinegar and black cherry jam. Season, stir and put the lid on.
Cook on a low heat for an hour until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets a little dry, add a dash of water. Serve hot or cold.
Note: Great with ham, cold meats and cheese as well as alongside a traditional roast.
- 12 photographs that capture the true beauty of Pateley Bridge
- Wishart Estate Agents join national scheme recognising the best estate agent the UK
- How UTC Leeds is training the next generation of engineers and scientists
- Six of the best gins from Yorkshire
- How will Brexit affect food and farming in Yorkshire?
- Retirement planning - is it time to review your pension?
- Win a pair of tickets to the Spring Harrogate Flower Show
- Win a luxury city break in Leeds
- Win a cosy pub get-away at The Inn at South Stainley
- Yorkshire Life magazine March 2018 – out in the shops or available to buy online now