© 2013 Archant Community Media Ltd
- Out & about
- Food & drink
- Homes & gardens
- Life TV
- Competitions & offers
December 12 2013 Latest news:
max temp: 9°C
min temp: 8°C
It's easy to create a regal confection from a simple mini sponge. Slice off the top of these little buns, pipe a crown of buttercream and add a dollop of jam.
It’s easy to create a regal confection from a simple mini sponge. Slice off the top of these little buns, pipe a crown of buttercream and add a dollop of jam. Then, simply halve the leftover sponge and push into the decoration.
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan oven/gas mark 5. Line a bun tin with paper cases.
2. Make the cakes. Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy, using an electric hand whisk. Gradually add the egg, a little at a time, and whisk in. Add a spoonful of flour if the mixture looks as if it is going to curdle.
3. When all the egg has been added, fold in the flour, baking powder and orange zest and juice, using a large metal spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly among the individual cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden on top. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Make the buttercream by beating together the butter and half the icing in a bowl until soft and creamy using an electric hand whisk. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar, one spoonful at a time, beating in well after each addition. Fold in the orange zest.
6. Carefully cut the slightly risen tops off each cake and set to one side. Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe a swirl on top of each cake. Spoon a little jam on top. Cut each of the cake tops in half and push into the buttercream at an angle. Dust each cake with icing sugar to serve.