- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: French
- Main Ingredient: Cake
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 5 juniper berries, bruised with the back of a knife
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 4 tbsp Streamline apricot jam
- 3-4 pears depending on their size, peeled cored & sliced (we used Blush pears)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Crème fraîche to serve
Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Grease the bottom of a 9 inch spring form tin and line with greaseproof paper. Heat the juniper, cinnamon and cloves with the apricot jam in a pan then add the pear slices and cook gently for 5 minutes until they are soft. Set aside to cool.
Whisk together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, then whisk in the eggs one at a time. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the almonds, flour and baking powder.
Pick the spices out of the pear juices and discard. Arrange the pear slices in the bottom of the tin along with just 2 tablespoons of the juices. Pour over the cake batter and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and the cake springs back when you touch the top.
Take out of the oven and cool for 15 minutes then turn out onto a serving plate and peel off the greaseproof paper. Reheat the remaining pear juices and drizzle over. Serve warm or cold with a dollop of crème fraîche.
Note: Cook the pears gently so they don’t break up and adjust the cooking time depending on their ripeness.
- 12 photographs that capture the true beauty of Pateley Bridge
- Wishart Estate Agents join national scheme recognising the best estate agent the UK
- How UTC Leeds is training the next generation of engineers and scientists
- Six of the best gins from Yorkshire
- How will Brexit affect food and farming in Yorkshire?
- Retirement planning - is it time to review your pension?
- Win a pair of tickets to the Spring Harrogate Flower Show
- Win a luxury city break in Leeds
- Win a cosy pub get-away at The Inn at South Stainley
- Yorkshire Life magazine March 2018 – out in the shops or available to buy online now