6 great walks near Helmsley
PUBLISHED: 00:00 17 January 2018 | UPDATED: 19:14 02 August 2018
Many people use Helmsley as a base for exploring the North York Moors, these six walks all commence within a ten mile radius of the market town, making them perfect for a day trip.
Rievaulx Abbey and Hambleton Hills
3 miles from Helmsley
This walk on the edge of the Hambleton Hills, close to Sutton Bank, egins from the charming hamlet of Old Byland, visits the stunning ruins of Rievaulx and weaves through charming woodland and spends a while tracing the valley of the Rye through constantly-changing scenery.
6 miles from Helmsley
The Howardian Hills are steeped in history and this walk, which also takes in the valley of the Rye, visits two of the most historic buildings in the area.
7 miles from Helmsley
Setting off from All Saints’ Church, there are good paths and tracks but a high ridge to climb on this lovely moorland walk.
8 miles from Helmsley
This walk, sandwiched between the North York Moors and the Howardian Hills, takes in four delightful villages and some gentle countryside with sweeping views of the Vale of York and the escarpment of the moors around the White Horse.
9 miles from Helmsley
This walk sets off from the Ryedale Folk Museum and takes in the charming valley of the River Dove before calling in on another charming community at Gillamoor before making its way back to the start.
9 miles from Helmsley
Many people believe that the view from the top of Sutton Bank is one of the finest in the country, follow good paths and woodland tracks to discover wonderful panoramic vistas.
- The £300,000 restoration of the Turkish Baths in Harrogate
- A look ahead to the Yorkshire Dales Cheese Festival
- Yorkshire Dales Walk - Littondale
- Exploring the suburbs of Sheffield
- Robert Berry - 3.2 The Rules Have Changed: A Remarkable Memorial To Keith Emerson
- Peak District walk - Agden Reservoir
- The collection of paintings inspired by Emmerdale
- The fall and rise of Bridlington
- Why Pateley Bridge is a great place to visit all year round
- Pole Walking - how the Nordic walking technique is becoming popular in Yorkshire