Chicken Masala recipe by Prett Tejura, Curry Cuisine
PUBLISHED: 00:00 09 January 2014
Prett Tejura founder of Curry Cuisine in Yorkshire shares this delicious recipe
600g chicken breasts - chopped into small squares
1 medium onion finely chopped
5cm stick cinnamon
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1½ tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
200g chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt (to your taste)
2 tsp coriander and cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp chopped green chillies
Handful fresh coriander chopped
How to cook
1. Place the oil in a cooking pan and heat, add cloves and cinnamon and wait until they sizzle.
2. Add the onions and cook until they turn golden on a medium to low heat stirring occasionally. They may take up to 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute to release any raw aromas.
4. Add the powdered spices and salt, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add a little water here if the paste begins to stick.
5. Add the tomatoes and green chillies.
6. Simmer for 5-10 minutes with the lid on. The masala will be ready when the oil appears on the surface.
7. Place the chicken into the pan and stir. Cook on high heat (with lid on) to sear the chicken and the masala is well mixed into the meat. Approx 5 minutes.
8. Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour some hot water into the pan if required. (Approx 50mls)
9. Add the fresh coriander, cook for a further 5 minutes.
10. Serve with boiled basmati rice or Chapattis.