- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: Chocolate
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 300g good quality dark chocolate
- 100ml double cream
- 5 medium eggs at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 150g unsalted butter, diced
- A 22cm spring clip tin, greased and lined.
A rich gluten free chocolate cake - perfect for Valentine’s Day
• Preheat your oven to 180° C. • Melt Chocolate and butter over a pan of hot water, stirring frequently. • Place eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk for a few seconds. Add the sugar and whisk on full power for 5 mins until pale, very thick and five times the original volume. If a thick, ribbon like trail of mixture falls back into the bowl and is still visible for 5 secs after you lift out the whisk, its ready! • Pour the chocolate mixture onto the egg mixture and very gently fold the two together using a large metal spoon or spatula. • Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for approx. 35 – 45 mins until just firm to the touch. The cake will rise to the top of the tin during baking but will sink on cooling. (When you test the centre with a knife, some moist crumbs should be seen on the knife.) • Leave until completely cool before removing from the tin. • To make the topping melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl with the cream.. When it has half melted, remove the bowl from the pan and beat the chocolate well with a spatula until glossy. • Spread the chocolate around the sides of the cake with a palette knife and then on top, alternatively just pour it onto the top and let it run down the sides. Leave until firm, preferably overnight before serving.
Cameo Cupcakes supply local cafes and make celebration cakes to order. They operate a shop, Cake Décor, which is a cake decorating supplies shop and cake bakery located at 9 Theatre Walk, Eagle Centre, Derby DE1 2NG. www.cameocupcakes.co.uk