- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: British Leeks
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 25g butter
- 2 large leeks, sliced and washed including most of the green part
- 1 stick celery
- 1 white onion
- 2 springs fresh thyme, leaves only, plus a few for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled, cored and chopped finely
- 75g cooked chestnuts, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
Add the oil and the butter to a large pan and turn the heat to medium. Add in the leeks, celery and onion along with the thyme leaves and the peeled garlic. Season with salt and pepper and place a lid on and allow the vegetables to sweat for 10 minutes, stirring a few times in between.
Now add the chopped parsnips and the chestnuts along with the stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the parsnips are tender. Make sure the vegetable are completely covered with stock, if not; add a little more as it depends on the size of your pan.
After about 20 minutes all the vegetables should be nice and tender.
Turn off the heat and blend either in a liquidiser or with a handheld blender. Never over fill your liquidiser so do this in batches and I would recommend leaving the soup to cool slightly before doing this.
Blend until completely smooth before returning to the pan and reheating. You can add a little more stock if you feel the mix is too thick.
Season with a little more pepper before serving with a few more chopped chestnuts and a few fresh thyme leaves.
Tip: dress soup with a drizzle of oil for a tasty finishing touch.
- Enjoy your local countryside walks on National GetOutside Day with a free month’s subscription to OS Maps
- Seventh Course Limited T/A Matt Healy x The Foundry, Leeds
- Win a Yorkshire Gin & Tonic Hamper from Raisthorpe Manor
- Win a luxury two-night break at The Marton Arms in the Yorkshire Dales
- 2018 Yorkshire Life Food and Drink Awards - the winners revealed
- 2018 Yorkshire Life Food and Drink Awards - Bar of the Year
- 2018 Yorkshire Life Food and Drink Awards - Food Hero of the Year
- 2018 Yorkshire Life Food and Drink Awards - Tearoom/Cafe of the Year
- 2018 Yorkshire Life Food and Drink Awards - Newcomer of the Year
- 2018 Yorkshire Life Food and Drink Awards - Chef of the Year