Vanilla Goats’ Milk Ice Cream Recipe
PUBLISHED: 00:00 17 July 2013
Can’t get a pot of goats’ milk ice cream? Try this recipe from St Helen’s Dairy
300ml (half pint) St Helen’s Farm goats’ milk
Half a vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
100g (4oz) caster sugar
250ml St Helen’s Farm double goats’ cream (2 x 125g pots)
1. Pour the milk and half vanilla pod into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for a few minutes.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl and then carefully add the milk and beat well.
3. Return the mixture to the saucepan, heat gently and stir continuously until the mixture thickens and forms a film over the back of a wooden spoon. DO NOT BOIL.
4. Remove saucepan from the heat and leave until cool. Remove the half vanilla pod. Add cream and then stir into the mixture.
5. Pour into ice cream maker and follow instructions. Alternatively, turn the mixture into a freezer tray or basin and freeze until mushy.
6. Remove from the freezer and whisk for about two minutes. Return to freezer until firm.