6 great walks near Ilkley
PUBLISHED: 00:00 02 February 2018 | UPDATED: 19:13 02 August 2018
Many people use Ilkley as a base for exploring the Yorkshire Dales, these six walks all commence within a ten mile radius of the spa town, making them perfect for a day trip.
Middleton Woods bluebells
This route is ideal for a spring walk, experience of of the finest displays of bluebells in the country at Middleton Woods.
Cow and Calf
Visit one of the most iconic landmarks in Yorkshire while rediscovering some of the most visited moorlands in the county, enjoy views high above the spa town of Ilkley.
Ilkley Riverside Walk
Within a stroll of the town centre is the Riverside Walk, a three mile circuit either side of the Wharfe that at Stockeld Way is crossed by a lovely stone bridge where there’s a Narnia lamp, and takes in the pleasant Riverside Gardens. The circuit shows how leafy Ilkley itself is, in contrast to the bare moor looming to the south.
Ilkley Moor offers many routes including the fascinating prehistory trail, roughly four miles taking in ancient cup marks and the Twelve Apostles Neolithic stone circle.
Bramhope and Otley Chevin
Bramhope is just ten miles away from Ilkley, just north of Leeds. The route begins in Bramhope and initially follows field paths out into open country before a gentle meander through the trees of Otley Chevin Forest Park.
Lindley Wood Reservoir
The Washburn Valley is also just ten miles away from Ilkley and this walk takes in the lowest of the quartet of reservoirs, the Lindley Wood Reservoir - before climbing to a high ridge with glorious panoramic views.
- Win a collection of Bailey of Sheffield stainless steel jewellery
- The best Christmas Markets in Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Life magazine December 2018 – out in the shops or available to buy online now
- The growing number of ways to engage in volunteer work in Huddersfield
- A look ahead to Christmas in and around Harrogate
- Christmas at Matt Healy x The Foundry
- New Years Eve Taster Menu at Matt Healy x The Foundry
- 4 of the best properties for sale in Yorkshire
- Celebrating 50 years of the 3 Acres Inn near Huddersfield
- Join Your Very Own Elf Guide On A Magical “Christmas Adventure” Like No Other!