6 great walks near Skipton
PUBLISHED: 01:00 11 September 2018 | UPDATED: 09:00 11 September 2018
The Gateway to the Dales can be the perfect base for a walking holiday around the Yorkshire Dales, this selection of walks are all within a ten mile radius of the market town.
0 miles from Skipton
The wood circles the northern boundary of Skipton Castle, you can follow the canal towpath around the castle which takes you to the Sawmill entrance of the woods. From there you can follow the course to Eller Beck to explore the surroundings.
2 miles from Skipton
This circular walk startig out from Embsay Reservoir heads up to the top of Crookrise Crag and then takes in Waterfall Gill and Upper Barden Reservoir.
Rylstone and Cracoe
5 miles from Skipton
Starting out just north of Rylstone on the B6265 you will pass by two of the most famous landmarks in the surrounding area: the Rylstone Cross and the Cracoe War Memorial.
6 miles from Skipton
Exploring the grounds of Bolton Abbey be as long as short as you want it to be, there are a number of highlights along the course of the River Wharfe including the Strid, Strid Woods and the famous stepping stones.
Barden and Simon’s Seat
6 miles from Skipton
Set off from Barden Bridge and head to the summit of of Simon’s Seat, before heading to the Bolton Abbey estate to the woodland called the Valley of Desolation.
10 miles from Skipton
If you’re in the area near Malham, but would prefer a less path a little less trodden, then thiswalk from the quiet village of Airton could be the one for you. Head to the summit of Haw Crag and take in a section of the Pennine Way on your return leg.
- Win a luxury Booths Christmas Hamper
- Win a collection of Bailey of Sheffield stainless steel jewellery
- The best Christmas Markets in Yorkshire
- Yorkshire Life magazine December 2018 – out in the shops or available to buy online now
- The growing number of ways to engage in volunteer work in Huddersfield
- A look ahead to Christmas in and around Harrogate
- Christmas at Matt Healy x The Foundry
- New Years Eve Taster Menu at Matt Healy x The Foundry
- 4 of the best properties for sale in Yorkshire
- Celebrating 50 years of the 3 Acres Inn near Huddersfield